Friday, October 10, 2008

a teacher named Angeline

Jay wanted my advice on Angeline...the English teacher. She's pretty much plain compared to most of the women in Jay's life.

His wife Kay was pretty much this blonde with stringy hair down to her waist. She was a vegetarian. Or so she wanted you to believe. She had a kid when she was like fifteen, I think. And she was like four or so years older than Jay when they hooked up. Then he found out later she had another kid. But he was a pretty good Dad. I guess. I don't know. I didn't see them all that much. They'd be in Dallas or San Antonio for the most part. You know, growing up, I'd see them maybe at Christmas or some such something. But I didn't know them.

Then there was Corina which Nana never thought much of even if she was Hispanic. She was always in her hoochy mama outfits, going on how she'd knived somebody over this guy or whatever. And yeah, the list goes down him from there. Nana has prayed so much for Jay over the years. She was so certain he would have died of AIDs by now.

But deep down, I think he's a romantic and he's been really careful with this Angeline. I mean, he just barely says hello to her. It wasn't until recently he actually had a real conversation with her. He's so scared he'll mess it up.

"Well, maybe if you stopped smoking, that would help." I suggested. He told me no way in hell would he ever stop smoking for anyone.

But he just won't shut up about her. She's from South Dakota. She might as well be from Canada. She's a foreigner in these parts. She's got all this blonde wavey hair and she's twice his size as in she's built up from the ground. She could be Iron-woman. Its that kind of presence that keeps everyone in line. Her smile can turn instantly into a look of "You get your butt in that seat right now, young man." People listen to Angeline. We call her Miss Weaver.

"You sure you want somebody like her," I hated to tell him that I don't think she's his type.

"What, you don't think I can hold my own with somebody like that?" I think he wants to go out with her just to spite me.

"You two just don't look like a couple," I told him. "For one thing she could bend you like a toothpick." But this doesn't seem to be stopping him.

What do I know. He's got to just get in there and see what happens.

4 comments:

UmassSlytherin said...

oh, ellie, I absolutely love love love this chapter: it is some of your best work, imo. I absolutely love his descriptions of the different women: so hilarious!!! I am laughing reading it, and I've read it three times so far!

excellent, excellent stuff! awesome! I'm so glad you're doing this story! :)

Cate said...

Kay sounds wild. I always find it weird when men hook up with older women. I know it's fairly common, but I still think it's weird - sometimes.
Corina sounds wild too. She'd knived someone... LOL. Not LOL, but you know what I mean.
You know, reading this story from Lonnie's point of view just gives one a perfect insight into a guy's mind. From the fourth paragraph, we paranoid girls can conclude that if a guy doesn't say hello to us, it doesn't necessarily mean he hates us ^^
I like that Jay is in love.

autumn said...

lol @ Jay for asking an advice. seems unusual. i think. lol. and it's funny to think he's serious about Angeline. i didn't mean it in a mean way, if you know what i mean. lol.

anyway, i've got a LOVE award for you, ellie. =]

Nisey♥Liite said...

i love creativity and you seem to have a lot of it. AWSOME job :)