Monday, February 16, 2009

a day off

Quite possibly I stayed over at Frank & Delia's place longer than I should have today. Steph went with me and she helped clean house...or just listened to Delia talk about everything. This woman knows all..as in gossip. Usually, from like 30 or 40 years ago and I think Steph thought she was listening to a soap opera for the most part.

We ate lunch with them. Hamburgers right off the grill.

We got to see the work shop where Frank makes the whips. He used to make boots and saddles. He has some really huge and old sewing machines out there that I don't think have been used close to 50 years. He used to make his daughter boots, and it was unique to see all these wooden boot shapes all lined up as her feet grew.

He's been in a few farm accidents. He lost a finger when he hung his wedding band on a metal part of a ladder when he was climbing off this big feed bend. Says he can still tell when a cold front his coming through. His missing finger starts to hurt.

I'd never seen Steph's eyes so big when he was telling us this story.

Some Presidents day it was to have off from school. I guess I can manage all this feeding. I'm going to try to do it before school. Steph is going to come with me to open and shut gates. And she can drive the truck while I'm throwing hey out the back end to the cows. So I guess we're in this together. Looks like we'll have our work cut out for us.

3 comments:

Jaky Astik said...

oh, what a day!

Cate said...

Haha, I know women like Delia... That gossip can be quite interesting though!!!
Hamburgers right off the grill... That must be something else than the stuff you get at McDonald's... Is it??
Aw, so sweet of Frank to make his daughter boots! When I did work experience, I saw all those wooden shoe shapes too, every actor had a model of his feet there!
I wonder if there will grow any old men like Frank from the generation of our parents. About the wedding band: I used to not understand why we have to take off jewelry and watches in sports, but things like that made me see that it's necessary...

taffy. said...

sounds like a wonderful job!