Thursday, April 4, 2024

Do you have the time



 "How do you know me?" He said, and Milo wasn't sure what he should answer as he looked at the stranger.

"What do you mean?"

"I know you've been watching me," he said he was there to protect someone at the Beggar's Sect. They'd been there since his youth. "But we have always been outsiders."

"How so?" Milo's eyes lit as if he couldn't help to think of the young doctor he'd helped once when he was small. He'd always known of him as barely a man himself. Quite youthful as Milo  recalled. But he had to be old now. Still, this stranger looked as if he must have been of his tribe, from the border where they knew horses and were taller than many Milo knew of.

"I know I shouldn't be here," it was kind of funny to think the guard might be worried. Milo only smiled back.

"I knew of a master quite good with what he forged in the forest. Could it be the same person?"

"You have something I want to," the stranger swelled a frown.

"Oh, really?" Milo couldn't help but smile. "Like what?"

"It's a person," the guard told him. Milo nodded.

"Who is she to you?"

"Someone, I have not seen in forever," the guard clutched his sword. Milo sighed.

"Who are you?"

"Fu."

"Really?" Milo grinned. He couldn't quite believe him.

"Well, that's what they call me anyway," Fu sighed. "I can't even remember my real name, but I know her and I can't forget her." He'd been indentured that long.

Milo nodded. 

"I don't want to deceive you, but can you at least tell me who you're protecting?" Milo thought he might know, but he couldn't be sure. He hoped it was the master of medicines.

"What do you mean?" Oh, he had a smart mouth. He looked too young to be just a guard. But his robe was a royal blue and he looked to know what he was doing.

"I'm just looking for an old friend," Milo said he hadn't seen him in ages. Milo was a youngster when he knew him. But he'd heard about how the Beggars weren't really made up of beggars anymore. "Is that true?"

"They needed backing," Fu said. "It might look artificial...but they haven't let go of everyone."

Milo invited him for tea then and ChaCha did her best to remain the orphan girl she was. Setting out the hot tea for Milo to pour.

"We mean you no harm, I'm sorry we have had a testy group at your door," Milo tucked the big sleeve of his silk robe and poured the tea for the stranger named Fu.

"I gathered that, really they are quite foolish, what do those two mean to achieve," Fu was dead serious. It only made Milo chuckle.

"Just youngsters at play," Milo finally sighed about Qing and Ching.

"But she looks so much like the girl I loved growing up," Fu said as he sipped the steaming tea.

"So that's it," Milo was even-lipped.

"She was taken away by the Wolf pack," Fu told him.

"The wolf pack?" Milo winced. He didn't want to hear of that barbaric group.

"I'm sure she's long gone, but the imposter made me remember my days with her," Fu looked quite sad.

"Sorry, my friend," Milo wasn't certain they would ever be friends, "But what can you tell me about the doctor?

12 comments:

  1. Good -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is just so volatile to all of us🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the chapter
    X
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. A first love from his past...the girl that Qing has shapeshifted into.

      Delete
  5. Wow como se ha puesto *O*
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very curious to see who is being remembered here.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh
    I really love this one!!! Amazing chapter!
    I hope I can read more soon ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Então a menina que foi levada pelos lobos é a ChaCha?
    Beijos! 🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the girl who was taken by the wolves is ChaCha? Actually, it is the girl from the guard's memory who Qing as shapeshifted into.

      Delete